Walking in Jesus’s Footsteps: 15 Top-Rated Christian Sites
Israel is the ultimate travel destination for Christian travelers. The country is steeped in Biblical history, and it was here that Jesus was born, lived, and was crucified. You can visit the places where Christ spent his life, and literally walk in Jesus footsteps. Join an Israel Christian tour and have a once-in-a-lifetime experience in the land of the Bible. Tour the 15 top-rated attractions and iconic Christian landmarks of the Holy Land.
Visit Nazareth - the Holy Family’s Hometown
It all started in Nazareth. Here Mary and Joseph had their family home and it was in Nazareth that Jesus spent his childhood. Nazareth is a city in northern Israel with a charming Old City where several churches commemorate Biblical events. It is easy to imagine Nazareth as a Biblical town with Mary fetching water from the communal well, Joseph working in his carpentry, and Mary first learned of her miraculous pregnancy. Don’t miss this must-see Christian destination.
1. Church of the AnnunciationThis church marks the place where the Angel Gabriel came to Mary to tell her of her future son. Christian visitors say that this church is one of the most memorable stops on a Nazareth tour.
2. Church of Saint JosephIf you join a Nazareth and Sea of Galilee Tour, you can visit the grottoes beneath this church that could have been the Holy family’s home and Joseph’s carpentry. You can have a special moment of prayer in the grotto chapel.
3. Mount PrecipiceThe Mount of the Leap is an important biblical site located just a few minutes from Nazareth. This is where Jesus leaped from the mount after being chased and rejected by the people of the town.
Visit Bethlehem - Where Christianity Was Born
Joseph and Mary made the journey south from Nazareth to Bethlehem where Jesus was born. Bethlehem is one of Israel’s best destinations and home to several top Christian attractions. The city is in the Palestinian West Bank, south of Jerusalem. If you don’t want to miss any important Christian sites then the best way to visit Bethlehem is with a guided tour. Book a Bethlehem Half Day Tour to see incredible sacred sites including the place where Jesus was born.
4. Church of the Nativity
This 4th-century church was built around the Holy Grotto where Jesus was born. Tours arrive in Manger Square and then enter this magnificent church that will leave you in awe.
5. Milk GrottoSee for yourself where Mary nursed baby Jesus. Christian tradition holds that a drop of Mary’s milk fell to the ground and turned the cave walls white.
Jericho - The Ultimate Christian Baptismal Site
6. Qasr el-YehudOn a Jericho, Dead Sea, and the Jordan River Tour you can get baptized at the Qasar el-Yehud baptismal site near Jericho. This authentic spot on the River Jordan may have been where John baptized Jesus. It is also believed to be where the Israelites crossed over the Jordan into the Promised Land.
Top Christian Sites in Galilee
After Jesus was born in Bethlehem he returned to Nazareth with his family where he spent his childhood. Years later, Jesus embarked on his ministry, preaching the word of God in villages around the Sea of Galilee. Join a popular Sea of Galilee tour or a tour focused on Christian landmarks in the Galilee like the Sea of Galilee, Cana, Magdala & Mt. of Beatitudes Tour. See where Jesus lived, and walk-in his footsteps through the breathtaking scenery of Galilee.
7. CapernaumOnce a biblical fishing village, Capernaum is home to archaeological excavation of two ancient synagogues. Here Christ performed several miracles and could have taught at the ancient synagogues.
8. The Baptismal Site YardenitBeing baptized in the Jordan River is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for Christian visitors to Israel. At Yardenit the river has been made easily accessible with steps and railings leading into the water so that you can be baptized.
9. Mount of Beatitudes
overlooking the magnificent Sea of Galilee is the Church of the Beatitudes that stands the Mount of Beatitudes. Don’t miss seeing where Jesus gave his Sermon on the Mount.
10. Tabgha and Church of MultiplicationEnjoy the serenity of this charming church on the edge of the Sea of Galilee. At Tabgha, you can see where Jesus shared fish and loaves among the multitude.
11. Mt. Tabor and Church of TransfigurationMount Tabor overlooks the Jezreel Valley in Lower Galilee. This sacred Christian site is where the transfiguration of Christ took place. The Mount Tabor, Tzippori, Beit Sheárim Private Tour is a top pick for Christians that want to see where the transfiguration took place.
Walk-in Jesus’ Footsteps through Jerusalem
Jerusalem is without a doubt the top destination in Israel. It was where Jesus visited as a boy and where he spent the last week of his life, Passion Week. The city is home to the most important Christian sites in the world. As you walk in Jesus’ footsteps along the stone-paved lanes of Jerusalem, you will be amazed at the beauty of this city. Jerusalem is packed with religious, historic, and archaeological sites that can be seen on a Jerusalem Old and New Tour.
12. Holy Sepulcher ChurchThis church is the top Christian site in the world and a highlight of the Jerusalem Old City Tour. The massive 4th-century church encompasses Golgotha and the Tomb of Christ. The Holy Sepulchre Church is a must for travelers following in the footsteps of Jesus.
13. The Garden TombThe Garden tomb is a place of Christian worship, and some traditions believe it to be the site of Christ’s burial. The tomb is a valid pilgrimage site, yet most experts agree that the Garden Tomb is not where Christ was buried and rose from the dead.
14. Garden of GethsemaneAt the foot of the Mount of Olives is the garden where Jesus came to pray and was arrested on the eve of his crucifixion. The peaceful garden is one of the top Christian sites to visit on tours of Jerusalem. The Garden of Gethsemane and other significant Christian sites on the Mount of Olives can be included in a Jerusalem Old City Private Christian Tour.
15. Room of the Last SupperJust outside the Old City walls is Mount Zion, home to the Room of the Last Supper. Here Christ dined with his disciples on the eve of his crucifixion. The Room of the Last Supper (Cenacle) is one of the top 10 Christian attractions in Israel.
Israel, the land of the Bible, is a bucket-list destination for all Christians. As you tour the holy sites of Nazareth, Bethlehem, Galilee, and Jerusalem you will be walking in the footsteps of Christ. Now is the time to see the Holy Land, and rejuvenate your faith, by visiting the place where Christianity was born. You can discover the treasures of the Holy Land and explore the many sacred places you’ve only ever read about in the Bible. Book an Israel Christian tour today, and see for yourself where Jesus was born, lived, and died.